With many of us working and spending more time at home these days, there may be projects around the house that need attention. However, these efforts have a way of getting expensive, and you will want to do your homework to make sure they are worth the price. Before you start ordering supplies, it may be best to decide which efforts will be the most cost-effective. Here are some of the best home-improvement investments for your property in 2020:
Before you begin a project, it may be helpful to assess your home and answer the following questions:
Do You Have Any Major Repairs?
Although adding a deck or remodeling a bathroom can be satisfying to look at, if you have a significant problem with your home that needs repair, you should direct your energy and funds towards that issue before doing anything cosmetic. For example, if you know you have a damaged roof that needs to be replaced, it would be wise to take care of it before it leads to bigger problems. Likewise, lovely granite countertops in the kitchen will not be much use if your air-conditioning system fails in the summer.
Do You Plan to Stay?
One issue to consider is how long you plan to stay in the home. If this is your forever home, and there is a particular feature that matters to you, it could be well worth the personal satisfaction you would feel to put it into place. An artist, for instance, might revel in a personal studio. If you are a fitness enthusiast, a private exercise space could be ideal. Some additions or changes can be for personal enjoyment.
For owners who are looking to make improvements that will improve their home and potentially add to its resale value, the following enhancements may be beneficial:
- Smart Home Adaptations– These days, many buyers are attracted to smart home features. Programmable thermostats have become relatively standard in today’s modern homes. However, technology is always changing, and it would be worth checking into the latest reports to see if there are any other features you would like to have in your home.
- Updated Kitchens– Modern kitchens never seem to go out of style. For many people, the kitchen is the heart of the house, and its features will depend on your taste. You typically want to go with the current aesthetic. An open concept with an island tends to be an accessible and inviting design. However, experts recommend you keep your kitchen renovation budget modest.
- Wellness Features– For the health-conscious, state-of-the-art air filtration systems, anti-allergen flooring and tile instead of carpet, circadian lighting (to improve sleep), and newly sealed windows and are expected to be popular in 2020.
- Manufactured Stone Veneer- This is one of the leading home renovations with a reported 97% return on investment in resale value. Using this material on your home’s exterior seems to be in style and a popular choice in 2020.
- A New Garage Door– Although you may not notice a dated garage door when you update this feature, it can bring a reported 94% return on resale.
Of course, there are countless other improvements that you can make that will make a difference in your home’s overall appearance. A new coat of paint or a deck is always a welcome addition to property. Gardening can also create instant curb appeal and be an enjoyable way for you to spend time at home.
Laura B. Bramnick is an experienced Arizona real estate attorney who has the expertise to help you with every phase of your real estate transaction. If you are seeking an exceptional, client-driven real estate lawyer in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Sedona, and throughout the State of Arizona, contact Laura B. Bramnick to schedule your consultation.